Shadow Economic Secretary to the Treasury
Catherine was appointed Shadow Economic Secretary to the Treasury by Labour leader Ed Miliband in October 2013, having served as Shadow Exchequer Secretary in the team since May 2012.
Catherine is responsible for holding the Government to account in the following areas:
- taxation of transport, North Sea oil, gas and shipping
- energy policy, climate change and environmental taxes
- tax credits and child poverty, and assisting the Chief Secretary on welfare reform and public service pensions
- charities, the voluntary sector and gift aid
- excise duties and excise fraud
- gambling duties
- the EU budget and wider EU issues not relating to financial services
- the Royal Mint and Departmental Minister for HM Treasury Group
Updates on Catherine’s work in this role can be read here.