Catherine is looking for a highly motivated individual with excellent organisational and communication skills to join her team as a Parliamentary Assistant/Senior Parliamentary Assistant to support her in her roles as Member of Parliament for Newcastle North and Shadow Schools Minister. The position will be based in Catherine’s Westminster office. Part-time/flexible working or a job share would be considered for the right candidate(s).
Salary: In line with IPSA scales (dependent on experience)
Length of Contract: Permanent
- Support Catherine in her role as Shadow Schools Minister.
• Undertake research on relevant subjects as directed.
• Assist in writing external communications including speeches.
• Compilation of briefing packs, take notes of meetings and draft appropriate submissions and ensure Catherine is fully briefed on potential questions and motions to be put to the House.
• Analyse, evaluate, and interpret data to ensure Catherine is accurately informed on key issues.
• Prepare and present results for the purposes of briefing notes for committees, parliamentary questions, articles and press releases.
• Research and monitor local, regional, and national media coverage online and through social media and brief on relevant issues.
• Respond to correspondence and enquiries from constituents, and external organisations.
• Provide high quality, efficient and effective support.
• Excellent research skills (required)
• Previous Parliamentary experience and knowledge of Parliamentary procedure (desirable)
• Excellent written and oral communication skills (required)
• Attention to detail (required)
• The ability to work often under pressure and to tight deadlines (required)
• Excellent time-management and teamworking skills (required)
• Interest in and knowledge of the education and schools’ sector (desirable)
• Sympathetic to the values of the Labour Party (desirable)
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 2 October 2023
Applications should be received by 9am. With a start date as soon as possible.
To apply for this post, please e-mail a one page covering letter and your CV to [email protected] on the closing date with PARLIAMENTARY ASSISTANT– YOUR NAME in the subject line.